More than 80% of fire deaths occur in the home. Correctly installed fire sprinkler systems in the home can save lives and property from fire. They respond quickly and effectively to a fire, often extinguishing the fire before the fire department arrives. Only the sprinkler or nozzle closest to the incident will be activated, spraying water on the affected area.
- Home fire sprinklers save lives and property. On many occasions, a family that has survived a fire will also retain their home and enough items and space to continue living their lives as they did before.
- The cost of a fire sprinkler system in a new home averages £1.35 per square foot, totaling an amount similar to what is spent on carpet or hot tub renovations.Source: 2013 Fire Protection Research Foundation Study.
- A home fire sprinkler system can lower a homeowner’s insurance premium.
- Fire departments generally use about 10 times more water than a fire sprinkler would use to contain a casualty. Source: 2010 Fire Protection Research Foundation Study.
- Fire sprinklers are environmentally friendly. They can reduce the amount of water used and water pollution, fire damage by up to 71% and the use of water needed to fight a home fire by up to 91%. Source: FM Global and Home Fire Sprinkler Coalition Study 2010.
- Situations like cigarette smoke or burnt toast will not activate a fire sprinkler. Only the high temperature of a fire will.
- A home fire sprinkler system is easy to maintain. Just inspect your home to make sure the sprinklers are not blocked by something preventing water from escaping, like paint, and make sure the main control valve is never off. In addition, the system will require servicing annually.
- Home fire sprinklers are effective in hot and cold climates. Guidelines have been created for the correct installation of the systems to avoid freezing of the pipes.
…and do not forget.
- If you are MOVING into an apartment or building, make sure common areas and individual apartments are protected by a well-maintained fire suppression system.
- If you are BUILDING a new home or remodeling an existing one, please confirm with your architect at the earliest possible convenience to understand whether you require a fire suppression system to be installed into your home.
- More than 2,500 people die each year in home fires.
If a fire occurs in the home, the risk of dying decreases by approximately 80% when the home is equipped with a fire sprinkler system.